Oldershausen Testdrive

I prepared the mount for the LED-Strip-Lights. The strips are equipped with an adhesive tape and have and illuminate with an angle of 120 degree. To maximise the light yield and reduce the loss I cut an strip of wood at an angle of 30 degree. This strip and the LEDs should be mounted at the very front of the cover, directly behind the fascia. I made some tests with this installation before fixing it in place.

I was quite satisfied with the results and fixed the LEDs in place. After the installation I could not resist and had to unpack my lovely Athearn Genesis GP38-2 and switch some cars.

The GP38-2 runs good and sounds great. I used Märklin K-Track with long turnouts. These can be used for the typical “Punktkontakt” (Pukos, third rail in dots) AC locomotives but it can also be used for DC locomotives. Sadly not all DC locomotives can cope with the “Pukos” at the turnouts as they are higher than the outer rails of the track to prevent any shorts. Sadly this locomotive seems to lock up at the Pukos with the couplers. So I could not enjoy a smooth run but nevertheless I am motivated to get this project done and proceed with an US switching layout as my next project.

Painting the Backdrop and Clouds

After the backdrop was fixed my daughter and I could move on and paint it.  The first color we mixed was pretty blue. Too blue. Thus we added some black and white to tone it down. Now we got a nice blue-gray background which imitates a normal day. Now we may add some clouds.

After the paint dried, we created some paper stencils for the clouds. We tried spraying the clouds as I remember seeing in TMTV Juli 2014. I guess we did reuse the same stencil to often. Additionally the spray can was too small and didn’t work very clean. My wife doesn’t like the look of the clouds and thinks they look to uniform. May be we will repaint the backdrop and the clouds later but for now they will stay. Regarding the photos: The camera of my iPhone has collected some dirt, so all the dark fringes in the fuzz in the pictures is not used as backdrop color 😉

Oldershausen Mockup with backdrop

 

 

My vision for this small layout is using a display-style (lightbox?) fascia. As this layout is intend for learning and experiments I wanted to try a curved backdrop. I want my kids to have fun with this layout. Currently they not as tall as I am, so I had the idea of curving the background from the back to the top. This leaves me with square corners on the left and right, bit I hope this can be covered up with some scenery.

After building the the support structure for the backdrop, I tried to bend the hardboard into the curve. I thought this thin hardboard is flexible enough. It is not. It is so stiff that I accidentally punched a large hole into the hardboard. This will be fixed later.

With the finished backdrop I could not resist to setup a quick mockup of the overall design. The LED-Stripes for the lightning are held in place by pushing them into small gaps in the framework. The fascia will be painted black to reduce the distraction and focus the interest on the layout itself.