19th century culvert, first try

I used 1 mm styrene to build a model of this culvert. This is my very first work with this material and my very first try of modelling anything based on a prototype. Here is the result.

Honestly I’m not too happy with the result. After trying to add some texture to the concrete part failed and I have stopped the work on this part. I will look for a different prototype.

Culvert: A Prototype Inspiration

The Marschacht-Layout has a small stream on the left that is crossed by the tracks. Thus I need a culvert. There is a railroad line in my village, that has been shut down several years ago. Several small drainage canals cross the old railroad line. I found an interesting culvert a few hundred metres out of the town.

It has been built using a combination of rock and concrete. The railroad line has been built in the beginning of the 19th century. So I guess this culvert has also been built at that time. The basic form is not to complex and might be built by a beginner like me. So I will give it a try.

Right-Of-Way-Details: Poly Dome

Today in the US there are a lot white poles with colored tops stuck in the ground. These are Poly Domes. They are used to inform and warn the public about any delicate infrastructure that is buried beneath, such as gas pipelines or communication wires or fibre optics. Specifications and examples of the real thing can be found at ACP International including the specs of poly-dome-markers.

Lance Mindheim mentioned them in an article about vertical elements. Cody’s Workshop on MRVP shows a nice tutorial how to build right of way details such as poly domes.

This is indeed something to keep in mind when detailing the scenery around the tracks.

The project deserves a name

I think my small Märklin layout deserves a name. Basically it resembles an Inglenook Sidings. The scene is completely freelanced but the near stream and the agricultural trade station reminds me of a location in a small town a few kilometres away. The name of this location is “Oldershausen” and this will be the name of this small layout.

Railroad services interrupted

Advent Calendar sceneryFor Christmas preparations, the model railroading activities have been interrupted for a few days. My wife got an Advent Calendar that consists of 24 small cardboard houses. So we decided to build a small winter village scene with lightning and a few trees.

I built the base from 6 mm plywood (birch multiplex). About one third of the scene is set to 40 mm height using some insulation foam. The curved background is made from 0.5 mm styrene. Our son used the airbrush to cover the styrene with gray primer.

The trees have been sprayed white and sprinkled with some glimmer. The Landscape has been painted white and is now covered with a lot glimmer.